Essay: Worth 40% of total points
After working closely with college counselors and admission officers our YLBC committee chose the following prompts that will give you plenty of choices and opportunities for expressing yourself.
Choose one that works best for you.
The goal of the following prompts is to help all students, see themselves and their stories within the prompts. They are designed to invite discussions of character and community, identity, and aspiration.
Prepare your essay using ONE of the following essay topics:
- Describe the world you come from; for example, your family, clubs, school, city, town or any other community you consider yourself a member. How has that community shaped who you are and your aspirations for the future?
- Describe one way in which you have contributed to your community, whether in your family, the classroom, your neighborhood, etc.
- You live a busy life, full of activities, many of which have been required. Tell us about something you do because you love it.
- Home is where your story begins. Tell us about your home and how it has influenced your story.
- Essay must include a cover page with Title, Student Name, School Name, and Date.
- Essay must be no more than 650 words in length (not including the title page), double spaced, 12 point Times New Roman font.
- Essay will be graded on the following rubric with 100 points possible
- Document must be submitted as a doc or docx file (using Microsoft Word)
- Name your file appropriately with your LastName_FirstNameEssay to receive full points.
Submission links are coming soon.