Essay: Worth 40% of total points
After working closely with college counselors and admission officers our YLBC committee chose the following prompts that will give you plenty of choices and opportunities for expressing yourself.
Choose one that works best for you. The goal of the following prompts is to help all students, see themselves and their stories within the prompts. They are designed to invite discussions of character and community, identity, and aspiration.
Due July 10th
The essay and resume portion will be digitally submitted this year. You will receive a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org – keep that email.
Prepare your essay using ONE of the following essay topics:
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
- Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?
- Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
- Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
- Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
- Essay must include a cover page with Title, Student Name, School Name, and Date
- Essay must be no more than 650 words in length (not including the title page), double spaced, 12 point standard font
- Essay will be graded on the following rubric with 100 points possible
- Document must be submitted as a doc or docx file type
- Name your file appropriately with your LastName_FirstNameEssay to receive full points
- You will receive a confirmation email of your submission